I just had to take a moment today to share with ya'll part of our sermon at church yesterday. Part of the sermon was about the difference between happiness and joy and finding joy in your life. I thought what better place to talk about this then on my blog "Inner Joy"??
Now, I am not going to pretend to be able to do this sermon justice so if you would like to check it out you can do so by clicking here. The key points that I took away about the difference between "happiness" and "joy" is that happiness is based on your situation and joy is a choice.
That is why people can find joy in the midst of heartache or trials. Our teaching pastor Greg Pinkner also went on to explain that there are two key components to "joy": contentment and thankfulness.
This all really made me think. Instead of looking at the negatives in our life, playing the comparison game or focusing our attention on things that just really don't matter we should focus on being thankful and content no matter where we are.
I try to remain thankful and I have a million things to be thankful for but I am just as guilty of getting wrapped up in day to day life. Seeing the loads of laundry that need to be done, or the floors that need to be vacuumed or the project I want to tackle. I thought this was an excellent reminder and explanation of happiness in our life.
I am also guilty of letting myself get sucked into "chasing happiness" by attributing it to time with certain people, working out, spending time with my family, or taking a trip. While all of those things definitely add to my life they are entirely based on a situation. Have you ever found yourself in a situation that should make you happy but it doesn't? I definitely have.
When you chose JOY no matter your circumstance that is when I think you find your "inner joy." By focusing on feeling content and thankful right where you are.
I hope everyone had a fabulous weekend!
Happy Monday friends!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment