Friday, August 1, 2014

Love

I am sure many of you are familiar with the bible passage "1 Corinthians 13:4-7."  It is read at million weddings, printed on picture frames and bookmarks galore.  Cole and I happen to have one of these picture frames in our bedroom. I don't know about you all but when something is that saturated it can easily lose it's meaning.  Recently, I was reading over this verse (on the picture frame in our bedroom) and I was struck by what a tall order it is.  Not to mention how much I fail at "love" on a daily basis. 

Love is patient
love is kind
It does not envy
it does not boast
it is not proud
It does not dishonor others
it is not self-seeking
it is not easily angered
it keeps no record of wrongs
 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth
It always protects
always trusts
always hopes
always perseveres

The ironic thing is that I have been meaning to put together a blog post about this verse for weeks.  It took a very heated argument with my hubs this morning for me to realize how much I needed this verse.  We are both sleep deprived, with full schedules, we have been under the weather and tending to a sick and very fussy baby.  It's enough to make anyone a little on edge.  In times like these when we are both giving 110% when we really only have about 70% to give that it can be easy to keep score or get frustrated with each other.  Cole made a snarky comment this morning that is not worth repeating but took me waaaay over the edge.  I am pretty sure steam was coming out of my ears.  In the midst of my anger, I started making my laundry list of things I was upset about and things "I" had done recently.  But I stopped and took it back for a moment and just asked God to help me deal with this.  This bible verse popped into my head almost immediately.  I was failing at love.

It's not easy and sometimes it's not even deserved.  But God calls us to love well. Especially within our marriages.  I definitely need the reminder.

I hope everyone has a fabulous weekend!  Happy Friday friends!

No comments: