So there's been a lot of chatter recently in the blog world about a little term called "Fakebooking." For those of us who started Facebook when it was literally only for college students and only select schools were invited to be on it we have seen the Facebook transformation. Now your Mom, Granddad and 2 year old niece have Facebook profiles. Not to mention your dog....(which by the way we had no part in one of Cole's friends thought this was hysterical and honestly it was).
But back to the Fakebooking. Probably because everyone from your uncle Tim to your coworker is now your Facebook friend people may feel the need to be less authentic. Back in the day Facebook was REAL so much so that I took it upon myself to deleted 2/3 of the stuff from my first year on the book (I was a senior in college...give me a break). Anyway, now-a-days it's all "I have the best husband in the world, look at the flowers he bought me" or "Lunch time with my kiddos...[insert perfectly posed picture with the best looking children on the planet] or "Hawaii bound!!!!! Bring on the Mai Tais and suntan lotion!!" (I am super guilty of the last one). Let's be honest we all are. I am guilty of all of them (except the kid part of course). When you take a super fabulous picture why not plaster it all over FB and Twitter AND Instagram (just so your social media bases are covered). Been there done it. But have you ever felt a twinge of guilt? I definitely have. Like our social media outlets have become some giant bragging forum. LOOK AT ME. I'M AWESOME. LOOK AT THE AWESOME STUFF I AM DOING.
While I think it's totally cool to post a cute picture of your dog, or child, or the flowers your husband bought you (because let's be honest that's super sweet) I think in order to not fall into the "Fakebooking" trap there needs to be more authenticity. I recently had a friend post that she was pregnant on FB. But instead of the typical "Baby Blah Blah coming this summer!!! We feel so blessed!" She actually put in her announcement that this was their THIRD time trying to get pregnant and this was after not one but two painful miscarriages. Wow. Now that is cause for a celebration and a good ole FB "like."
Authenticy is crutical to reminding eachother that we are all human. We all have our struggles. Mine may be fertility issues (along with a millon other women) and while FB shouldn't be a place to dump your personal issues it should also be a place where we can be real about our celebrations in life. You better believe when Cole and I are finally pregnant I am going to plaster it all over the book as well as post obnoxious pictures of our baby. But I hope that people will know it didn't come without a struggle. We are all human. No one has the perfectly edited life they post on the internet.
The End. :)
Happy Thursday Friends!!!!!!!!
xoxo,


No comments:
Post a Comment