Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Perfection

So I have had in on my heart recently to write a post about perfection (or the lack there of).  I think everyone is pretty aware that social media gives a false perspective on life.  Most people aren't Facebooking, tweeting or instagramming the mess in their lives.  Social media approved posts usually have our best foot forward.  Anyway, this post isn't about social media I have written my thoughts on that before. This post is about perfection.

I will never forget in high school a girl called me "chronically perfect".  It felt like the most backhanded compliment I had ever received.  It was in fact a compliment (I think) but the word "chronically" just didn't sit right.  I often receive comments as an adult that "I look so put together" and it recently made me think.  Am I being authentic enough? 

Don't get me wrong I am a perfectionist in a lot of ways.  I tend to like things in order, picked up, in the appropriate place.  I don't typically leave the house a mess, make-up free, or mismatched (not that there is ANYTHING wrong with any of that) I just don't.  Part of the reason is because I am speedy Gonzales and it takes me 2.5 seconds to get ready (in all seriousness 10-15 minutes).  I am seriously faced paced.

For whatever reason God has been putting this "perfection" idea on my heart and I just had to say it out loud for the world to hear.  I don't have it all together. No one does.  We are all sinners in need of grace.  Everyone has their stuff, their struggles, their insecurities, their sins.  I have never been good about showing my ugly side (everyone has one) probably because of my inner perfectionism.  But I just have to say with out a doubt it's there.  If you know me well you know my faults, they're not cute or funny.  They are faults.  I am thankful for a savior that gives me the free gift of grace.  I need it daily.

Recently a blogging friend of mine got hit really hard by an awful website called GOMI or "get off my internet."  It is a awful place where people picked apart her "perfect" life and her blog.  It made me sad to think that people were that hateful and needed to find fault with someone.  It reminded me that it's important to be authentic about who we are.  So the next time you find yourself thinking someone just has it so together, remind yourself that no one does.  It's a refreshing thought.

Happy Tuesday friends!

2 comments:

Natasha said...

love you friend!!! thanks so much ;)
and yes, none of us are perfect...so refreshing once we realize we will never be and can be OK with that concept.

and p.s. please teach me how to get ready in 15 minutes!

OXOX

Unknown said...

Such a great reminder! We were talking about this very thing over the weekend. Everyone has their something. It could be sickness, it could be loss, it could inner demons, it could be so many many things. No one walks around with "I am/have this" on their chest, but we've all got something on our hearts! Thanks for this.
xo | thesequinedspatula.blogspot.com