Do you ever have a recurring theme come to you through bible verses and sermons? Lately I have had a serious pattern of reading or listening to things about forgiveness. Strange because I don't have beef with anyone in my life and I am not currently struggling with this. My husband however has had a few bumps in the road lately that have tested his faith and his ability to forgive. I think God has been speaking to me so I can support my man. It's been so consistent that I decided I needed to post about it.
Forgiveness is a tricky thing. It's easy to forgive someone when they do something small that may hurt your feelings but you know maybe they didn't intend to. But what about when they did intend to? Or they consistently sin against you? Or how about when it's someone that you didn't particularly care for in the first place? That my friends can be a tough situation. I have learned the hard way over the years that harboring anger towards another person truly does hurt you in the long run. Jesus taught over and over again to love your enemies.
Matthew 5:44 "But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you."
Luke 6:27 "But to you who are listening I say: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you"
Matthew 18:21-22 "Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times shall I forgive my brother or sister who sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times."
Hold up.....SEVENTY-SEVEN times???? Are you sure???? Easier said than done right? I read this about forgiveness this week and it really struck a cord:
Forgiveness means,
- praying for those who have evil intentions for you (Matthew 5:44),
- being abounding in love, something only possible when you really are abiding in Christ (Psalm 86:5),
- never avenging yourself, but leaving it to God’s capable hand (Romans 12:18-19),
- doing good to those who never do good to you (Luke 6:27-28),
- watching your own life, and ensuring you’re not guilty of the sin that’s been committed against you (Luke 17:3).
Forgiveness does not mean,
- feeling good about something that was bad,
- letting someone out of the consequences of their wrong, (ask David about sin’s devastating consequences, 2 Samuel 12),
- never being disciplined by a loving Father (Hebrews 12:5-6).
I need this reminder A LOT. It's not something I am capable of doing on my own. Human nature goes completely against this and so does our culture. Thankfully praying for God's help and trusting that He can give you the ability can and will make a difference.
Now let's all love and forgive :) Happy Hump Day Friends!!

No comments:
Post a Comment