Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Baby Gear 101: The big stuff

So I will be the first to admit baby stuff is majorly overwhelming.  The baby stores, the amount of gear you apparently need to raise a small human and ALL of the different options.  SUPER overwhelming. Since I am such a psycho planner I saved some blog posts, lists, etc. that other new moms had made specifically to help me with all of this.  Not to mention I have a ton of mom friends that gave me some great recommendations.  It can still be a lot though.  One thing everyone and their brother will tell you about having kids is that everyone and their brother has an opinion about what you should or shouldn't do when you have kids...ironic huh?  So, the toughest part is figuring out what works for YOU and YOUR family.  We all have different lifestyles and priorities that you need to take into account.

So, for the sake of potentially helping someone else with these big purchases here is the gear we decided to give a go:

Jogging Stroller:  This isn't for everyone, but I am a big runner and for us the BOB was a necessity.  This sucker can go hiking, to the beach, basically on any adventure we want to take it on.  I was SOLD.
Travel System: So I am not going to lie I have the best friend on the planet who happens to have a hook up on Graco items.  So this next purchase was a no brainer for us.  Our travel system would be Graco, we just weren't sure which one.  The weight of the stroller was super important to me. At 5'4'' and a buck 10 pre-pregnancy weight I needed something I could assemble by myself and quickly. After loads of research we landed on the Graco Fact Action Fold Classic Connect Travel System.
Pack 'N Play: Again with the Graco, they are known for having the best Pack N' Plays (or so I hear). So, we decided on the Newborn Napper Elite - Vance. I love the neutral color and I have a feeling the newborn napper addition will be a life saver.


High Chair:  This one is still in the works but again due to our awesome Graco hook up I started my search there.  I landed on the Graco Blossom Vance 4 in 1 High Chair. I love the versatility of this chair.  It goes from high chair to strap in toddler/booster seat and it's a great neutral color.

Swing & chair: Fisher Price got great reviews on their swings and chairs so I decided to look into their options.  I immediately fell in love with the Little Lamb collection. Here is the swing and chair we ended up with. Honestly, I thought they both weren't overly tacky which a ton of baby stuff is.


Monitor: Another big item was the monitor.  I am a super nerd and I read all of the reviews on monitors this year before deciding on the Motorola MBP36 Remote Wireless Video Baby Monitor.  It got great reviews and Cole and I found it super easy to assemble and use.

Excersaucer/Jumper: When trying to decide between and excersaucer or a jumper or both I was super overwhelmed.  Not to mention we were starting to acquire a ton of baby stuff.  So when I stumbled upon the Evenflo® Jump and Learn ExerSaucer in Jungle Quest I was really excited.  It is both a excersaucer AND and jumper and it has three levels so it grows with your baby. It's a little tacky but believe me when I say they are ALL tacky. 
Activity Mat: I have been around enough babies to know the activity mat is clutch.  Again though there were so so many horrible looking activity mat options.  I finally landed on the SKIP*HOP® Alphabet Zoo Activity Gym and I am happy to say I really like it. 

So there you have it.  Those are my picks for our big ticket items.  I obviously wont know for sure how I feel about these items until we use them.  But I feel really good about our choices.  Hope that helps!

Happy Tuesday Friends!


No comments: