Thursday, September 5, 2013

Our Fertility Journey: End in Sight

Well I am finally feeling like the end is near in my pregnancy.  I am 33 weeks tomorrow and absolutely THRILLED to have made it this far.  I have been thinking a lot lately about our journey and about all of the hurdles we have jumped to make this pregnancy happen.  You better believe one day I will tell Bodie that I not only had a hard time getting pregnant but my pregnancy wasn't exactly a walk in the park either. Thankfully this little boy is a fighter and we have made it this far against all of the odds.

I don't think I have ever gone into detail about what all we have been up against in this pregnancy.  You would think bed rest and our little hospital stay for preterm labor would be enough right? The truth of the matter is that my body has had a tough time with pregnancy since the get-go. In the first trimester after getting the fabulous positive test and seeing our heart beat things changed quickly when my Dr. told me my progesterone level was dropping.  Not good.  I was put on a hormone supplement to help make sure the pregnancy would stick around.  Not the end of the world by any means but the medicine had a lot of side effects and it was super scary to think about losing our baby at that stage in the game.

The second trimester was truly the "honeymoon" phase of the pregnancy.  My morning sickness finally subsided, I stopped feeling like a narcoleptic 24/7 and I was finally able to enjoy just being pregnant.  That was until of course I started spotting at 24 weeks and our journey with a high risk Dr. started.  I have battled a number of infections, been prescribed more hormones (clearly I have a hormone problem right!?) and then at 29 weeks of course I went into preterm labor.  Resulting in bed rest for the duration of my pregnancy.  I am a month in now.

If you have never been pregnant or maybe even if you have you might read all of this and think "wow, that really sucks." But the truth is (and I know I sound crazy when I say this) it doesn't suck at all.  It's kind of insane but this has been the best 9 months of my life and growing this little human is well worth everything we have been through.

If I could do it all over again I wouldn't change a thing and I would definitely do this again (even though my body clearly isn't a fan). I know I haven't been through the labor process yet but I also haven't met our sweet little boy.  From what I hear the moment I meet him will make the labor process well worth it.

The only thing that I will say absolutely sucked is fertility treatment.  I hope and I pray that I don't have to go through it again and I feel for everyone who is going through it.  But pregnancy, well worth it.  The good, the bad and the ugly.

Happy Thursday Friends!

1 comment:

Elena @ baby Ridley bump said...

I love your blog! Since I think your blog is so awesome I've nominated you for the Liebster award!

Elena @ www.babyridleybump.blogspot.com