Thursday, April 18, 2013

Pregnancy.....what it's really like

So before I get started today I wanted to give a shout out to Aubrey who did a fantastic job on my new blog design!  If you are looking for a blog face lift I highly recommend her!

I am going to start weekly "Bumpdate" posts but before that I wanted to share my pregnancy journey so far.  While this has absolutely already been one of the best experiences of my life pregnancy can get a bad wrap. There are definitely parts that are not the most fun you have ever had and when I talk about them (becasue I will) I want to be clear this is not me complaining. This is just a truthful testimony of what I have experienced good and bad and the good 110% out weights the bad.  I have really never been happier. :) Here we go!

1. Pregnancy is HARD HARD work.  I have never been so exhausted in my entire life.  It's the coolest thing in the world because you can literally feel your body making the baby.  I will get hit with spells that make me feel like a narcoleptic but it's freaking awesome. I have never been so tired and felt like I have done so little.

2. Seeing the baby for the first time is life changing.  We were able to check on our little one with an ultrasound at 6 weeks and then again at 10 weeks before we transferred from our specialist to a regular OBGYN.  Just even seeing the little speck and heart beating away is unreal. 

3. Morning sickness is no joke.  I am not one of those women who has experienced little to no sickness.  Which I am honestly thankful for. Since we did go through so much to get here I would have been a nervous wreck if I wasn't gagging 75 times throughout the day and throwing up my breakfast. :) But for real it lasts all day, every day and it kind of feels like a giant hangover.

4. I haven't had any weird cravings yet but my diet has changed a ton.  Mostly to do with being sick.  You just eat whatever you think you can tolerate at the moment and move on.

5. I feel like I am showing a ton but I realize that normal people really can't tell.  I have still been able to wear all of my clothes (definitely increased the flowy tops) and all of the students I teach at school said they had no idea I was pregnant.  It was thrilled. :)

6. Weight gain. It's really not that bad. Due to the morning sickness I lost 4 lbs in the first trimester but I have gained two back in the past two weeks so I am super excited. I hope to put on a pound a week from here on out and now it's super fun to watch my bump grow.

7. I never knew how for real my increased sense of smell would be!! Whoa!  That's like the number one contributor to feeling sick non-stop.  I can smell something 3 rooms away and I can literally smell Cole's lunch on him some nights.  It's definitely been my least favorite symptom.  I want to stop smelling!!

8. You also have an increased blood flow while pregnant.  Which contributes to your fatigue, you can literally feel the blood pumping through your body which means....nap time.  It also can make you feel light headed.  I had a serious scare last week with a little overheating + lightheadedness that about made me pass out. It was crazy. 

Anyway, I don't have any other incredible insights for you all (not that any of these really are) but I know when I was thinking about getting pregnant I wanted to know everything I possibly could beforehand.  I don't think you can ever be prepared for having a baby take over your body in so many ways and I also don't think you can prepare yourself for how much you love it.  It's definitely like nothing I have ever experienced before and we all know I am OBSESSED with my dogs. :)

I hope everyone is having a fabulous week!

No comments: