Tuesday, March 22, 2011

R.I.C.E.

Well I am sad to say my fabulous 5 inch gold heals may have gotten the best of me Saturday night.
Aren't they fabulous though!?
I twisted my ankle walking in them and I have spent the last few days nursing my left ankle.  For those of you who know me this is a HUGE inconvenience because I live to work out!
I have been taking part in the R.I.C.E. treatment...Rest, Ice, Compression & Elevation....
  • Rest:
    The first 24-48 hours after the injury is considered a critical treatment period and activities need to be curtailed. Gradually put as much weight on the involved ankle as tolerated and discontinue crutch use when you can walk with a normal gait (with minimal to no pain or limp).
  • Ice:
    For the first 48 hours post-injury, ice pack and elevate the ankle sprain 20 minutes at a time every 3-4 hours. The ice pack can be a bag of frozen vegetables (peas or corn), allowing you to be able to re-use the bag. 
  • Compression:
    Use compression when elevating the ankle sprain in early treatment. Using an Ace bandage, wrap the ankle from the toes all the way up to the top of the calf muscle, overlapping the elastic wrap by one-half of the width of the wrap. The wrap should be snug, but not cutting off circulation to the foot and ankle. So, if your foot becomes cold, blue, or falls asleep, re-wrap!
  • Elevate:
    Keep your ankle sprain higher than your heart as often as possible. Elevate at night by placing books under the foot of your mattresses--just stand up slowly in the morning.

Sounds like a blast huh??  I am happy to say that after a full day of rest most of the swelling went down by Sunday night.  I was able to walk on it all day yesterday but some of the swelling returned by the end of my work day.  So I went ahead and got the ACE bandage and spent last night in front of the television icing and elevating my ankle.  Today the ACE is back on and I am hoping and praying that all of this rest will allow me to get back on the workout train tomorrow.  Have a great Tuesday!!

No comments: