You might be wondering where I am going with this. . .this morning I had a mildly terrifying experience which made me start thinking about possessions and what is really important. Here's what happened:
While scurring around my kitchen this morning making breakfast (and yes I scurry. If that's even the word. More like frantically run around like a crazy person. Seriously stay out of my way.) Anyway, back to the breakfast part. I was at the sink washing off my dishes when I noticed right next to the sink was a nice looking diamond. I happened to have diamond studs in (fake and obnoxiously large) so my first thought was awesome. lost another earring. But then I realized oh no that is not an earring. . . that is my freaking center stone! REAL diamond! Good grief! I was A. thankful that I found it. Thank you Jesus. and B. super stressed thinking about my to-do list for the day and how I was going to find time to get it fixed.
Fast forward to my drive into work. I am getting increasingly more upset about my ring. I literally just had it cleaned this weekend. How did they not notice it was loose?? and I just had new prongs put in a month ago. Was it the prongs?? Could this happen again??? What if I am not so lucky to find it next time??????
Then it hit me. Like a pound of bricks. Seriously Joy? Could you be more materialistic????? It's a freaking diamond. There are so many other WAY more important things I could be spending my time worrying about. Not freaking out because my stupid diamond fell out. Get a grip. So it was in this moment. My ah-ha moment that I was reminded how small material items are in comparison to what really matters in life: God. Period. Will my diamond save me? I don't think so. Only He will.
Matthew 6:19-21
“Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moths and vermin destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moths and vermin do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."
1 Timothy 6:9-10
"Those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires that plunge people into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs."
I will come off my soap box now and I hope you enjoyed this break from my usual shopping, cooking, fashion and what Cole and & I have done for the past 17 million weekends. :)
Happy Tuesday & Happy Holidays Friends!
xoxo,

No comments:
Post a Comment