Thursday, January 26, 2012

Life smacking you in the face....

Last night Cole and I met our friends Tiff & Seth for dinner in Market Square.  We had the best time ever.  Seriously.  Tiff and I have been friends since freshman year of college and after years and years of not living in the same city we will be reunited in a few months.  To say I am excited is an understatement.
Tiff&I

When I moved back to Knoxville after taking my first job in Orlando, Fl after college I didn't have a single friend from college still living in Knoxville.  The first few years were really tough as they usually are.  Adjusting to an "adult" job, a full time schedule and everything else that comes with the horrible transition into adulthood.  I say horrible because it kind of is.  While I had some of the best times in my life those first few years there are constant reminders that you just aren't in college anymore and you probably need to get your act together.  I like to call these reminders life smacking you in the face.  Here are some examples:


Example 1: "Hmm I think I will go out on a Tuesday night.  I have to be at work at 8am.  But that's ok I went out much later in college and had 8am classes.  I will be fine. "  Life smacking you in the face: You are not fine, you don't feel fine with you alarm goes off at 6:45am and now not only do you have to be somewhere but you have to look presentable and be able to hold on a conversation with other adults.  Who are smart enough to know you went out last night and it's written all over your face.

Example 2: "The term weekend warier." Post college even though you have a full time job M-F you still have that invincible feeling from college.  You don't need sleep, you can drive 10 hours to see your best friends on a Friday even though you have to be at work at 8am on Monday.  What happens though is something like this... Life smacks you in the face: After driving insane amounts on the weekends you are of course completely exhausted.  The exhaustion typically takes 2-3 days to recover from.  So as soon as you start feeling better (say Wednesday night) you have two more days until you start the deathly process all over again.   Darn life....you win again.  You always do.

Example 3: You are poor.  You took this awesome job out of college making more money than you ever knew what to do with.  You went ahead and signed the lease for the 2 bedroom condo because you HAD to have a guest bedroom when your friends came into town.  But after (see example 2) the long road trips and fun with friends each weekend you have discovered a few things.  Life smacking you in the face: Gas is really expensive.  Even if you were one of the lucky ones who got the company car with a gas card it's really hard to explain an extra 500 miles a week to your manager each month.  In addition going out with friends, eating out and buying whatever your heart desires "because it's your money and you deserve it" is adding up extremely fast.  Somehow ALL of that money you are making is running down the drain quicker than you can keep up with it.  That salary doesn't seem like quite so much now and you start to wonder how do adults do it???

Anyway, so I got off on a little tangent there but the moral of this story is that one of my very best friends is moving to Knoxville in a mere 2 months and I am about to freak out!  You really take for granted (or at least I did) having your friends close by and in the same city.  Knoxville look out Tiff&Joy are about to take over!!



Happy Thursday Friends!

xoxo,

No comments: